Do you experience daily (or almost daily) headaches? And if you do, have you reached the point where you’ve given up and feel as though you just “have to live with them”? If that’s the case, there is hope. There are a multitude of different things that can cause your headaches, and a single headache can have more than just one of those contributing to its cause. You see, often headaches are our body’s way of telling us that something isn’t quite right in your life. It could be something as simple as lack of sleep, or something more difficult to pinpoint or fix such as stress or nutrition.
It’s true that researchers have difficulty pinpointing the exact cause of many headaches, but luckily they have found some very strong relationships between their occurrence and certain risk factors. Here are some of the biggest factors:
- Nutrition: Sometimes our bodies have sensitivities to specific foods that we eat. These sensitivities can cause irritations throughout our body’s nervous, digestive, and blood systems, giving us headaches and possibly other aches and pains, too.
- Stress: High levels of stress affect the levels of different chemical messengers called hormones throughout our bodies. When these levels are abnormal it can lead to the same kinds of irritations mentioned before.
- Biomechanics: Biomechanics is a fancy way of saying “the way the body moves.” And sometimes, if our body isn’t moving right, either because we’re injured, have tight muscles, or because of poor posture, that can result in headaches.
These are just three of the biggest things that can affect how often we have headaches. But how do we fix it? Well, obviously that will vary based on what’s causing our headaches, so how do we find what the source may be? Well, remember last week how we talked about Migraine Buddy? This is what the app is all about. As you track your headaches closely using a diary like Migraine Buddy, you will start to notice trends such as:
- Getting headaches after eating spicy meals
- Family arguments tend to makes headaches happen more frequently
- Headaches are worse after sitting at your desk too long without a break
If you want to know how to stop a headache, you have to know what is causing it. Paying attention to your headaches is key to this.
Luckily, for any headaches with a biomechanical cause (as many as 50% of headaches), evidence shows that Chiropractic can relieve your symptoms quite easily! So if you have headaches, come visit your Premier Gilbert Clinic, Better Chiropractic, where we’ll use the most appropriate techniques to help you Feel, Live, and Perform Better, faster!